The PDF format is a universal file format being used today across the globe. The reason that this format is so famous is that you can open it on any device and also it cannot be edited. So if you want to store data in a secure and shareable format then PDF is the best choice that you have today. PDF files are easy to create, read, share, send and private so you can use them anywhere you want. There are many pros of the PDF format but one big drawback which makes it annoying for users is the size issue. Some PDF files are too big in size that they can cause multiple problems. Some issues that you can face because of large PDF documents are mentioned below:
- Large PDF files cannot be attached to emails. An email attachment cannot be more than 25Mbs in size. So if you have a large PDF file then you cannot share it via email/Gmail.
- You cannot send large PDF files that are beyond 15 Mbs in size via messaging applications like WhatsApp.
- Large PDF files cannot be uploaded or downloaded. If you try saving them then you would be wasting a lot of your data cap along with time.
- Big PDF files consume more data on smartphones and it can be very hard for a user to read them.
Now that you know some of the common problems with large PDF files let us tell you how you can reduce PDF size of your large files. In the past, there was no such way of reducing PDF file size but today you can take help from modern tech and tools to solve this issue. Below we have listed some solutions to cater for this problem on both desktops and mobiles.
Use online PDF compressors on desktop/mobile
If you want to compress PDF files on your desktop and mobile you can take the help of online PDF compressors.
A PDF compressor can help you reduce PDF size without tampering with its quality or format. Online PDF compressors are usually free to use and are quite easy to handle. You can use these tools even if you don’t have any experience with them. Below we have listed steps that would help you reduce PDF size without any hassle.
- Open the PDF compressor on your browser
- Use the upload options to enter the large PDF files from your local or cloud-based storage.
- After inserting the large PDF file into the tool you have to select the level of compression. The online tools usually offer two modes of compression that are lossy and lossless. You have to select the suitable one.
- Click on the compress PDF button to start the process.
In a matter of seconds, your large file would be reduced to more than 50% in size. You can use the online PDF compressor on both desktops and mobiles as long as you have a browser and a strong web connection!
Install PDF compressor software on your desktop
If you have a large batch of PDF files that need to be compressed then you need to install a professional PDF editor application on your desktop. Adobe Acrobat is one of the best options that you have today that can help you manipulate all sorts of PDF files. The reason that adobe is known to be the best is that it is the platform that came up with the PDF format. So today if you install the adobe acrobat application you can easily manage, edit, convert and even compress PDF files. To compress PDF with adobe on your desktop you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Install Adobe Acrobat on your desktop
- Open the PDF file with Adobe Acrobat
- Now go to the file menu and use the save option
- In the save as menu you are going to find the reduced size option
- Save the file in the reduced size version
In less than seconds, adobe would reduce the size of your large PDF file. This method is no doubt easy but is surely expensive and can only reduce a little bit of size.
Download PDF compressor application on your mobile
If you want to compress a group of files on your mobile then you can easily install a PDF compressor app on your mobile. Today you have dozens of digital free PDF compressor application options that you can choose from. The application store of your mobile would be filled with PDF compressor and optimizer apps. You just have to install the one which is free, easy to use and lightweight.
Once you install the PDF compressor on your mobile you simply have to upload the large files on the app, select the level of compression and tap the ‘reduce file size’ button. In a matter of seconds, the apps would reduce the size of your files.
Also read following articles,